Monday, May 2, 2011

Nigerian Girls Getting Along--Or Not

I recently encountered some issues with some fellow Nigerian girls at my school. I won't go into personal details about the issue, but it was something worth writing about.

I noticed that there is discord (especially in the U.S.) amongst Nigerian girls. It seems as if each girl wants to be better than the next; each girl wants to prove higher than the next. Every Nigerian girl wants to be the H.B.I.C. (Head Bitch In Charge). To me that doesn't prove anything. Attitude is important but not a degrading one.

I'm a firm believer in unity. I always stand my ground on that. Women, especially women, need to support each other. We need to lift each other up. Nigerian girls (some, not all) are ready to throw you under the bus as soon as they get a chance. This causes for damaged relationships and damaged esteems. No man is an island, but some girls may beg to differ.

One girl mentioned to me that it is because of tribes that all the animosity arises. I but I begged to disagree. Whether Igbo, Hausa, Yourba, or any other tribe in Nigeria, unity is unity. One of my greatest and long time friends is a Yourba girl. One tribe wants to prove better than the other or something in that nature. But I said what about within a tribe? When you see girls in the same tribe as you not get along for whatever reason, what would you say about that?

U.N.I.T.Y as Queen Latifah put it. Women, generally speaking, need to realize that building up each other is the only way friendships can every stand. Nigerian women need to stick together and help each other. When I look at other ethnic groups such as Chinese, Hispanic, or Asian Indians, I always admire the fact that they stick it out; they support each other no matter what. Note that this is only an opinion from an outside observation.

Rounding up, Nigerian girls getting along is the only way to improve relations intratribally and intertribally. We are the future wives of future presidents, governors, doctors, and professors. We need to set the prime of example of how to run things smoothly and graciously like we've been known to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your victorious thoughts. You could believe my worst and last experience from my Nigerian girls, when I tried to show love, unity and togetherness amongst my Nigerian girl, but I got a unelieveable suprise. She duped me. Watch them twice please! John

    ReplyDelete